Thursday 16 April 2015

Poem 1 : The Allotment

The Allotment

Its taken 18 years for me to find my peace with you
The weeds the dirt the damned hard work
You seldom give me food.

Dandelions don't taste bad or nettles in a stew
But why can't I get brassicas
or carrots to come though?

Greens feel the teeth of caterpillars
Radishes get munched by slug
Carrots, even if I plant them high
get fly in the soil I dug.

Potatoes, they've had goodish years
I got a bowl not lots.
But why bother with onions
When they're cheaper down the shops?

Fruit has worked out better
Some years a glut of jam
Without that I would jack it in.
Does mole meat taste like Spam?

Yes moles I grow plenty of those
And large and  muscular snails
I think they might taste quite divine
Cooked with garlic, served with ale.



©Joanne Oliver 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment